Friday 9 November 2012

Reflections on Gunty's Island (by Kristina)

Kristina:  The day was a mixed bag of emotions for me.....sadness, helplessness and uncertainty contrasted by happiness, humility and gratitude.

Within 30 min of arriving at Gunty's Island with the MAD4 Cambodia team today, Tina (the 11 year old girl pictured in the photo with me) started to walk next to me as we were looking around the slums, I was slightly surprised when she held my hand however from that point on she did not want to let go.

Troy the ICC coordinator in Cambodia took us through some rather muddy/swampy areas which were very slippery  - the entire time we were walking in these less than ideal conditions Tina held my hand and led the way for me through the cleanest and safest path ensuring that I did not get too muddy or slip. This was a beautiful act of kindness and selflessness shown by Tina to me (a complete strangr).

It was only after I left Gunty's Island and upon reflection of the days events that I realised how ironic the situation of Tina and myself was today. I came to Cambodia to give of myself to help children like Tina however I never once expected that these kids would end up helping me (even before I had a chance to help them).

I will always remember that sweet little girl with the sad eyes yet big beautiful smile. She inspires me to always remember that no matter who you are or what you have you can always give of yourself to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment